Let’s start with a quote:
“People increasingly see conventional medicine not as health care but as disease care. People want more than that. It’s irrational to always wait until one develops a problem to pay attention to one’s health.”
Yes that is exactly what Chiropractors have been talking about, wellness or maintenance care!
Take care of yourself “before” you are sick.
Sounds great, so what should I do?
To stay healthy and decrease the risk of all disease and illness there are some basics that should be done on a daily basis. Remember do the best you can, if you skip a day or two, or fall a bit short of a goal no big deal.
- Oxygen. Oxygen is essential to every cell in your body. So slow deep breathing hourly. Try starting with 5-10 deep breaths per hour.
- Water. 70-90% of your cells are water. So water consumption is paramount. Try drinking 40% of your body weight in ounces. That is a lot so try getting 12 ounces a day and add more as you go. Remember: alcohol, caffeine and sugar all dehydrate you so beverages that contain those are ones to try and avoid.
- Heart. Without the old ticker of course you die, but even a heart that is not functioning properly can lead to problems. So let’s keep this muscle in shape the best we can. Let’s start with cardiovascular exercise, (walking, running, cycling, etc.): 20-40 minutes, 3-5 times week.
- Muscles. Muscles need to stay strong and flexible for optimum performance. Lifting weights: 2-3 times week (this does not mean heavy lifting or does it require a 1.5 hours) Stretching: 5-10 minutes a day is a great start.
- Diet. The food you eat is super important as these nutrients will go to every cell in your body and help them function. So good food means healthier cells and bad food well… Decrease: calories, refined sugars, saturated fats, processed foods, dairy and soda. Increase: organic fruits, vegetables, good fats, protein and complex carbs.
- Mental Attitude. Your state of mind is a huge part of health. Being under constant stress, angry or unhappy has been shown in countless studies to be detrimental to ones’ health. Always try to decrease stress, be more understanding and choose happiness as often as you can.
- Chiropractic adjustments. The joints of your spine need to move as efficiently as possible to allow your entire body to function at its’ highest level, starting with the nervous system; but also including all your systems, ask me for the details. I will also cover these topics in future blogs.
For details on all the topics above talk to Dr. Lance Casazza, and I will help you out.